No matter how or where an environmental issue arises, you need lawyers who understand the full picture and who can “see around corners” to help you prepare for what’s coming next. And, when necessary, to vigorously defend your interests in litigation.
Environmental issues touch virtually every aspect of our lives and business operations. We offer decades and depth of experience advising numerous industry sectors on environmental law and its changing applicability to complex businesses worldwide. We also assist U.S. state and municipal governments on these issues.
We support clients' “day-to-day” operating needs across all core environmental disciplines and related fields including:
- Obtaining air, water, natural resources/species, and waste permits and other governmental approvals for business operations, modifications, and expansions—and litigating challenges to these permits.
- Ensuring worker health and safety and responding to safety incidents.
- Preparing emergency and crisis response plans, and managing crises.
- Monitoring ongoing compliance and reporting across the enterprise.
- Managing litigation—environmental citizen suits, nuisance and tort claims, and commercial disputes, including litigation relating to alleged historic contamination.
- Responding to government enforcement actions.
- Conducting internal investigations.
- Tracking multi-jurisdictional environmental, health, and safety (EHS), and product regulatory developments.
- Developing new projects, or managing acquisitions and divestitures, that may pose legacy or novel environmental and land development issues.
- Incorporating historic and cultural preservation requirements into business plans.
- Implementing training on EHS requirements.
- Participating in international efforts to set environmental and chemical standards.
- Combining environmental management systems and compliance cultures in company mergers.
- Accessing insurance proceeds for environmental incidents and to mitigate risks.
- Advising business professionals and the boards of companies on emerging environmental issues.
Our core capabilities encompass:
- Facilities and products.
- U.S. and international matters.
- Regulatory strategy, advocacy, compliance, and enforcement.
- Litigation, including toxic tort and class action.
- Transactions and project development.
Our focus and depth in environmental law position us to help clients interpret and respond to fast-moving developments that may not always seem “environmental” on their face. Just a few examples include:
- Answering customer and stakeholder questions about product formulations, supply chains, and corporate sustainability efforts (including, for example, human and indigenous rights).
- Deploying new technologies amidst uncertainty about whether and which existing legal or regulatory regime applies.
- Gaining access to new markets around the world.
We strive for total alignment with clients: asking questions, visiting facilities, learning clients’ business and people, collaborating on strategic planning, and more. For many clients, we serve as an extension of their environmental legal and compliance functions. For others, we work in a more behind the scenes way. In all cases, our focus and depth, our experience with numerous industry sectors, and our approach to client service add value and set us apart from others. We also connect our clients with industry colleagues and strive to find ways to help them do their jobs more effectively.
Our size and culture prioritize collaboration across offices, leveraging our strengths in litigation and environmental disciplines and driving results for clients. In addition, more than 30 of our lawyers have scientific or technical degrees, a plus when dealing with highly technical litigation and regulatory matters.
400 West 15th Street
Austin, TX 78701-1648
201 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-4150
155 Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110-1716
409 East Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28203-5135
477 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022-5835
456 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104-1251
600 University Street
Seattle, WA 98101-3109
1350 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20005-3311